Winterization with Non-toxic Antifreeze
Whether you’re traveling or storing your Unity, once you reach (conservatively) temperatures of 0 degree celsius / 32 degrees fahrenheit or below, it’s time to make sure you’re winterizing your RV. While it’s fairly safe if you’re only winterizing at -3 degrees celsius / 28 degrees fahrenheit, prolonged use at that temperature will result in freezing. We’ll walk you through every step of that process (including de-winterization) in the following video featuring Brad & Willie of Triple E RV / Leisure Travel Vans to make it really easy.
You can also follow along with the Storage & Winterization process as noted in your owner’s manual as outlined below the video.
- Drain fresh water tank as well as drain the waste & grey tanks.
- Make sure the water tank heater LP gas switch as well as the water heater 120v is switched is “OFF”. (not required with an on demand water heater)
- Drain and flush the hot water tank (not required with an on demand water heater).
- Turn the hot water tank by-pass valve to “By-Pass” (not required with an on demand water heater)
- Turn the winterize valve to “Winterize.”
- Remove the water filter canister, remove the filter cartridge and reinstall the water filter canister.
- The Unity MB canister is located in the vanity cabinet
- The Unity TB, IB, CB canister is located in the galley cabinet.
- Place the suction hose attached to the winterize by-pass valve into a container filled with non-toxic plumbing antifreeze
- Turn the water pump switch “ON” and pump antifreeze through the kitchen faucet, vanity faucet, shower, exterior faucet, toilet and toilet spray (if equipped).
- Add approximately 1 cup of antifreeze to each drain outlet.
- If Unity is equipped with an exterior macerator, turn on the macerator switch to winterize the pump.
- Empty the water filter canister of antifreeze.
- Turn pump off.
- Open all faucets to release water pressure.
- Remove the screen from the city water fill connection and depress center stem until plumbing antifreeze drains out.
Notice: Do not use automotive coolant antifreeze. It is toxic and will contaminate the water system.