This savory breakfast made of steel-cut oats, bacon, and eggs is a favorite from the Instant Pot Miracle cookbook. Serves 4.
4 slices bacon
1/2 cup diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup steel-cut oats
2 cups of chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt and black pepper
1 avocado, sliced
- Cook bacon until crisp (if using an Instant Pot, use sauté mode)
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in a small bowl, then set bacon on paper towel
- Sauté garlic and onion for 2-3 minutes, then add oats, broth, black pepper, and crushed red pepper and cook until oats are desired consistency (if using an Instant Pot, secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve, then select Porridge or Pressure and use natural release to depressurize)
- Use the reserved bacon grease to cook the eggs, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste
- Divide oats among four bowls and top with bacon, egg, and avocado
This recipe is perfect for the 3-quart Instant Pot. To save time while on the road, you can pre-cook the bacon until almost crisp and dice while still at home, then finish cooking until fulling crisp when preparing the meal on the road.